- Model: formulation of physical principles that produce signals you measure.
- Models are simplifications of reality, and thus are not reality
- We need to know strengths AND weaknesses of models
- In EO, we are interested in processes that describe how photon-atmosphere-canopy interactions $\Rightarrow$ radiative transfer theory (RT)
- Some interesting quotations (H/T Mat Disney@UCL
“All models are wrong but some are useful” – George Box
“The purpose of models is not to fit the data but to sharpen the questions” – Samuel Karlin
“No one trusts a model except the person who wrote it. Everyone trusts an observation except the person who made it.” – Anon.